What is Cornerstone?
Cornerstone is a unique retreat concept that grew out of, and in some ways is similar to, the Catholic Cursillo movement. It is designed to provide participants (“candidates”) with an opportunity to revitalize and deepen their spiritual lives through a combination of quiet reflection and prayer, and the sharing of one’s faith journey with others. At Notre Dame of Mt. Carmel, we offer both Women’s and Men’s Cornerstone ministries.
There are many worthwhile reasons to consider participating. Here are just some of them…
How much of my time is involved?
Cornerstone Weekend lasts approximately 26 hours, beginning on a Friday evening at 6:30 PM, and ending with a Closing Liturgy on Saturday evening at 7:30 PM. All candidates are provided sleeping accommodations at the parish on Friday night, which helps ensure the spiritual continuity of the experience for everyone involved. Each candidate is permitted to participate in only one Cornerstone Weekend, due to the nature of various activities during the 26 hours. Following the weekend, candidates are encouraged to become members of the Cornerstone Team, which is responsible for planning the following year’s weekend.
Who organizes and coordinates the Cornerstone Weekend?
Each year’s Cornerstone Weekend is planned by the Cornerstone Team, a dedicated group of about 30-40 women who have all made a Cornerstone Weekend themselves. A Spiritual Director and her Co-Leader oversee and guide the efforts of five teams of women, each team focused on a specific type of work in preparation for the weekend. The team concept on which Women’s Cornerstone is based helps spread the workload and also allows women on the Team to direct their talents and skills to the most appropriate areas.
When is Cornerstone XI?
Our next Cornerstone Weekend will take place on Friday and Saturday, October 26-27, 2012.
When and how can I sign up for the weekend?
In early September, there will be a “Cornerstone Sign-Up Weekend.” Personal witness sharings will be featured after each Mass, and a sign-up table will be in the Gathering Space. If you prefer to register prior to that weekend, click the “Register Now!” button here on the website.
Cornerstone Team Testimonials
- "I wasn’t sure what to expect but I’ve been overwhelmed with the warmth and love and sharing of the weekend."
- "It was a time of peace and calm in my busy life…sharing thoughts and feelings, connecting with other women and renewing my spiritual journey with God."
- "I learned from others who are further along on their spiritual journey."
- "I needed to open myself to a new way of looking at life and at God."
- "I yearned to draw closer to Christ so that I could bring that to all I encounter."
- "The Cornerstone experience was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. It exceeded all my expectations!"
- (About the Cornerstone Team who planned the weekend): "Your love, tenderness and the way every detail of our needs was taken care of is a tribute to your self-giving ways and the power of God’s love in and among you all!!"
- "I was open and available to the Lord… and the women I encountered were His instruments."
- "While I did not know much about Cornerstone, I felt certain that God had called me to share this time with Him. The experience exceeded my expectation."
- "Cornerstone provides a spa for the soul, it creates a bond among women of the parish, and it builds a stronger foundation for all women of the church."
- "Amazing women with incredible stories and faith to share…great music…delicious food…and intimate time with the Lord."
- "Listening to others, bonding with others, helps put my own life in perspective."
Need more information?
- "The weekend reflected positively the many weeks of planning and praying. We were ‘one Body,’ working together, inspired for sure by the Holy Spirit."
- "It was a fabulous experience to be part of the team. I saw hugs, tears, new relationships, healing, laughter…"
For more information on Women's Cornerstone at Notre Dame of Mt. Carmel Church please contact Lisa Wallburg at 973-428-0635 or via email at email@example.com; or, Kristen Stahl at 973-898-0887 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.