|C.Y.O. sports provide the opportunity for youth to experience tough competition without compromising Christian values or good sportsmanship. C.Y.O. Travel Basketball has been and continues to be the most exciting and competitive level of play for youth in our area.
CYO Sports is a component of a parish Youth Ministry. It enables the partnership of parents, coaches, priests, religious ed. teachers, and adult leaders to manage and support a sports program which allows youth to grow in their relationship with God and come to better understand themselves and the Catholic Faith. As such, our C.Y.O. program:
- Employs healthy and enjoyable competition to promote the sharing of gospel values among athletes, parents, and coaches.
- Assists parish leadership in nourishing the emotional, spiritual, social and physical needs of young people.
- Encourages young people to appreciate the gifts that they possess, and challenges them to share these gifts with their community.
- Allows youth to witness the life of Christian discipleship in their coaches and adult leaders.
- encourages youth to become responsible members of their faith community.
Our organization is comprised of volunteers committed to the following principles:
1. Be an excellent role model for children
2. Teach and demonstrate good sportsmanship
3. Teach and demonstrate self-discipline
4. Teach and demonstrate good teamwork
5. Teach and encourage the development of basketball skills
Our program is committed to providing boys and girls in our community with the positive and enjoyable experience of learning and competing in the great sport of basketball. We believe that every person is important and deserves the respect and consideration of others.
Eligibility & Sign-Up:
Our 2012/2013 Season will begin September 2012! OLM/NDMC C.Y.O basketball is open to registered parishioners and school attendees of Our Lady of Mercy as well as registered parishioners of Notre Dame of Mt. Carmel Church, 4th through 8th grade. Our organization enters boys and girls teams in the grade 4-5-6 division and in the grade 7-8 division of the Upper Morris County C.Y.O. (U.M.C.C.Y.O.) League.
Evaluations/Tryouts will take place at OLM Parish Center, Whippany Road at Eden Lane, Whippany, NJ on the days below. There will be no registrations accepted on the evaluation/tryout dates. Pre-registration is required beginning August 1st and ending August 31st. Any registration form received after August 31st will be placed on a waiting list.
Registration form (please click HERE to access). There will be no registrations accepted on the tryout dates. Pre-registration by August 31st is required. Any registration form received after August 31st will be placed on a waiting list.
- Girls Grade 4-5: Sept. 16, 6:00 - 7:00 pm (Sunday)
- Girls Grade 6: Sept. 16, 7:00-8:00 pm (Sunday)
- Girls Grade 7-8: Sept. 16, 8:00-9:00 pm (Sunday)
- Boys Grade 4-5: Sept. 23, 6:00-7:00 pm (Sunday)
- Boys Grade 6: Sept. 23, 7:00-8:00 pm (Sunday)
- Boys Grade 7-8: Sept. 23 8:00-9:00 pm (Sunday)
Games are played each Sunday afternoon from late November until late February. Half of the games are played away at surrounding parishes and half are played at the O.L.M. Parish center with all games open to the public. In addition to the games there will be weekly practice that concentrates on skill development and teamwork.
A schedule of games will be made available at a later time.
The primary role of the coach is to ensure that the child’s experience in basketball is both positive and enjoyable. The primary role of the parent is to enjoy watching their child play and to encourage and support his or her coach in achieving this goal.
Per Paterson Diocese rules, all coaches and/or volunteers who have contact with children must attend Virtus training, be fingerprinted and have a background check. All of our volunteer coaches have done so. All of these requirements must be satisfied before our rosters are submitted to the league. Only those volunteers approved by the League Advisory Board are eligible to coach. These rules are strictly enforced and there are no exceptions.
Please review the attached rules which are very comprehensive. However, please note since OLM and NDMC have re-combined, part of the agreement is that we are no longer allowed to accept any new non-Catholic and/or out of parish Catholics.
Contacts: For additional information, please contact:
Notre Dame: Jannine Walsh, 973-886-8557 / email@example.com
OLM: Mike Holleran 973-886-4743 / firstname.lastname@example.org